on 10/17/01 9:36 PM, "Tim Vernum" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> When I first read the original mail my reaction was "Someone with
> a homeless project looking for an owner".

I must be tainted from having been around here so long. I see right through
his proposal.

> In fact Paul's most recent mail says
> "As a result of this, we are interested in building a market
> through open source."
> Which has an air of "we can't afford to do this ourselves so we're
> hoping that we can utilise the Apache resources to get our product
> of the ground".

Yes, that is what I saw right away.

Add on to the fact that he has zero OSS experience, a contribution from him
would not bring anything more than a code base and a lot of headaches for us
to bring him up to speed on how to run an OSS project. Jakarta is not a
dumping ground for code.

> There's nothing _wrong_ with that - my impression is that part of
> Sun's motive for donating to Jakarta is to take advantage of the
> resources/name of Apache to promote their technology.

Actually, it is a slightly different and much much more drawn out story with
Sun.

> It can be a win-win situation

For the most part, with Sun, it has been a win-win solution.

Several Jakarta developers (Costin/Craig/Pier are the first people that come
to my mind) have gone on to become Sun employees* and that makes me happy to
see them gainfully employed doing what they love to do. That said, Tomcat
3.0 wasn't a pretty code base at all and a lot of work has gone into
cleaning it up (as well as re-writing it from scratch).

* Costin recently left to go to another Apache-centric company...I'm sure
his resume of working with Jakarta didn't hurt him. :-)

> , but if no one here thinks the
> project is worth being involved in, then there's no reason
> for the PMC et al. to put time/resources into it.

I agree.

-jon