On Thu, Jan 03, 2002 at 05:54:20PM -0800, Jon Scott Stevens wrote:
> It is amazing to me...with all the discussion about coding styles and
> following them, we still have people committing code that doesn't follow
> what rules we do have...
>
> on 1/3/02 11:00 AM, "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> Re: cvs commit: jakarta-commons/logging/src/java/org/apache/commons/logging
> SimpleLog.java
>
> > +        if(_showtime) {

We had that discussion once on Commons, and many people liked the
underscore convention.

> <http://java.sun.com/docs/codeconv/html/CodeConventions.doc8.html#367>
>
> "Variable names should not start with underscore _ or dollar sign $
> characters, even though both are allowed."
>
> <http://jakarta.apache.org/site/source.html>
>
> "All Java Language source code in the repository must be written in
> conformance to the "Code Conventions for the Java Programming Language as
> published by Sun."

Maybe that's what needs changing.. I'd suggest:

"All Java source code _should_ follow the existing conventions
established by that project's committers. Projects are strongly
encouraged to follow the "Code Conventions for the Java Programming
Language" as published by Sun."

Perhaps adding:

"Projects whose coding conventions deviate from the Sun standard must
document the changes, with justifications."

Simply because justifications are always fun to read :)

--Jeff