Hey Jon,

It is not amazing. It is normal. The paragraph that you quoted says:

  All Java Language source code in the repository must be written in
  conformance to the "Code Conventions for the Java Programming Language
  as published by Sun." However, some projects may decide to override
  these defaults and use their own defined conventions. For example, the
  Turbine project has its own defined conventions which are similar to
  the Sun standards but specify slightly different conventions.

Which really reads: we have conventions but you are free to ignore
them -- what people have flocked to do gleefully..

Cheers, Ceki

Ceki Gülcü - http://qos.ch