You soon got me cornered here now..!

| > |
| > | No way.  I'm a guy in Jakarta.  I have commit privs to Velocity, Commons and
| > | a small section of Turbine, and the main site, IIRC.  That's it.
| >
| > I was kind of kidding there. But it does look like it's easy to get a
| > project accepted at Jakarta if you already have "some control" over the
| > community.
|
| Example?  Stefano pushed to get POI in, and there was *huge* pushback.

At least heavy from Jon, as I remember it.

| > People from "the outside" is met with a very hostile attitude if they ask
| > whether this or that project could interest/supplement Apache/Jakarta,
| > while people (or.. Jon?) on the inside says "yo, dudes, what about me
| > stuffing this little lib toplevel onto jakarta?".. "Ok, that's 5 minutes
| > response time, it's now in place."
|
| Can you offer an example?

I tried to find information on some of the projects pages, but it didn't
say "this project was initiaded by".. So I guess I have to search a lot of
archives to find authoriative sources.

Velocity? ECS? (I'm not quite sure..) vs. BCEL and POI.

| > | What 'fantastically cool projects' want to get in?
| >
| > BCEL and POI are the ones I'm especcialy pointing towards here.
|
| Both are in...  What is the argument again?

The hassle and noise.

  The problem are all the cool projects that don't bother to get hassled
and rejected by Jon or other community members, so they don't even send
the "are you interested?" email to this list..

Jakarta could be an even more important community than it is.

| > As a complement to this: how is the "deprecating" system of Jakarta? If a
| > project "dies", that nobody seems to update it, the list dies or something
| > like this, does it die away from Jakarta too?
|
| It seems to - look at the calendar project :)

My idea is that if projects are accepted if they have such and such big
community and committed coders and what not, then they should also
probably be "de-cepted" if they loose these requirements.

The difference between Apache and "the others" are that you know that
Apache and Jakarta projects are good, because there are stringent
requirements to be such a project.

That doesn't mean that Apache couldn't have a whole bunch more of projects
going, as long as they were managed quite thight.

 ( I don't know if things have changed, but e.g. last time I tried JMeter,
it didn't live up to what it said it would. Maybe a project shouldn't be
on the page before it lived up to the "Apache standard", which is "the
best stuff available". Maybe there shouldn't be beta stuff available on
the front page at all, you'd have to go to another page to find things
that are in development..? )

Well.. I don't know if I have much more to say now.
  Geir, you're probably right, I'm just full of crap right now... I just
got frustrated when reading the front page of Jakarta, reading about the
small (unimportant, in my view) ECS there, while remembering all the
hassle those other poor bastards, with those other cool projects, had to
go through to get accepted to Jakarta..

--
Mvh,
Endre