'kay. Summary:
(everyone, please correct and add to?)

---------------
SIMILAR EFFORTS
---------------
Here's a list of similar efforts that I know of...
(requirments:
   1) some kind of application platform
   2) 100% java
   3) open source)

JBoss
-----
goal:    provide open source J2EE server.
offers:  J2EE compliance, EJB, JMS, O/R-mapping, JNDI,
         JCA, JTA/JTS, JAAS, GUI Management (JMX),
         Servlet/JSP, Database, JDO
license: LGPL
url:     http://www.jboss.org
status:  release
notes:   huge developer community

Jahia
-----
goal:    provide portal solution built on J2EE components.
offers:  JBoss, Database, Servlet/JSP, custom portal
         server (dunno what it does as the installer
         fails on my win2000 box)
license: Jahia License (commercial)
url:     http://products.xo3.com:8080/
status:  (preliminary) release
notes:   Paul, seems like a shrink-wrap commercial
         solution to me???

Enhydra
-------
goal:    provide open source web application server.
offers:  Servlets/JSP, Template Engine (XMLC), Sessions,
         Database connectivity, MVC Framework
license: Enhydra Public License (Mozilla-style)
url:     http://www.enhydra.org
status:  release
note:    dying slowly it seems, as Lutris is pulling out

EAS
---
goal:    provide BSD-style license J2EE server.
offers:  Servlets/JSP, EJB, Avalon
license: BSD-Style
url:     http://eas.betaversion.org
status:  alpha
note:    been dead a while now as backing company went
         bankrupt.

----------------------------
OPEN ENTERPRISE DISTRIBUTION
----------------------------
goal:    provide an open source alternative architecture to
         J2EE.
offers:  Database, Pooling, Logging, Management, etc.
         (to be defined)
license: Apache-style
url:     none (will be sourceforge)
status:  conceptual

Candidate Components For Inclusion
----------------------------------
Jakarta:
        Avalon
        Struts
        Turbine
        Velocity
        James
        Jetspeed
        Slide
        Tomcat

Apache XML:
        Cocoon
        SOAP

SourceForge:
        Enterprise Object Broker
        Simper (soon, anyway)
        HSQL
        Ozone
        JBoss
        Maverick
        Jetty
        Niggle
        OpenCMS
        Pi
        (...the list goes on and on...)

Exolab:
        OpenEJB
        OpenJMS
        OpenORB
        Castor
        Tyrex

(...)

Clearly, there are loads. We need some criteria.

Architecture
------------
One thing I think OEB needs is formalization of
the patterns of choice in the form of core
interfaces. The two projects I know that deal
with that are Avalon and Turbine.

Another thing it needs is a definition of how it
"glues". Options are JNDI, SOAP, JMX, Avalon
Service framework, Turbine Services Framework,
CORBA...and I'm sure I'm missing a few.

Of those, of course _I_ am in favor of the
setup Avalon uses, but hey ;)

This e-mail is now officially more than long
enough.

cheers,

- Leo