I think this would be less contentious then you think.  Basically if you add
the *oh the power of those who do* principal then you'll probably get some
list chatter but just say "are you volunteering" and they'll nearly
immediately shutup.  If you get two volunteers in the same area then its
quite simple: you have an alternative which will make for a better
distribution anyhow!  (You'll have the opportunity to develop better
interfaces and coupling etc in the "distribution" or "platform")...