On Thu, 2005-06-23 at 17:55 -0400, Frank W. Zammetti wrote:
> robert burrell donkin wrote:
> > if the new subproject is anything like the commons then each component
> > will have it's own development rhythm.
>
> I think this is a cogent point... if the idea is that this is like a
> Commons project, than I have to ask the question: why not just have a
> few new Commons projects, as was my original proposal?

The relevant questions are:
 * what percentage of the existing commons developers are
   interested in working on web components
 * what percentage of the prospective web developers are
   interested in participating in other commons projects
 * what percentage of users and interested in both web and
   normal commons projects.

If the answer to any of these is high then the benefits of a combined
community outweigh the nuisance of excessive emails, overly-large
subproject lists and general distraction.

I would guess the critical threshold to be about 25% - but I don't think
that will be reached, ie I believe that less than 25% of existing
commons committers would be interested in web commons components of the
sort proposed. Therefore having such components in the existing commons
will just annoy people without having any significant benefits (other
than allowing this startup hassle for "web commons" to be skipped).

Already we have people (both developers and users) agitating for
separate per-component mail lists due to the volume of emails in
commons. Some people have stated that they refuse to subscribe or be
part of the community while there is a shared list. I would hate to see
separate lists, but they have a point - there is an upper limit to the
amount of mail people can handle (esp. people on dial-up connections;
filtering by mail subject doesn't reduce the bandwidth needed to
download all the mails).

There is also the issue of community size. Commons has a couple of dozen
regular committers, which means we all recognise each other's names.
That's quite important I think, and brings some sense of team
membership. Diluting this with another dozen developers (I hope "web
commons" will grow to that size!) may change that sense of community
(esp. if we don't have many interests in common). And likewise for new
"web commons" committers - I think the sense of a team will be stronger
with a separate project/mail-list etc.

I admit it's all guesswork and a little crystal-ball-gazing. If
web-commons is a failure, ie only a couple of projects get off the
ground, then the existing commons would be a better home. But I hope
that's not the case - there does seem to be a reasonable number of ideas
and people willing to push them forward.

Regards,

Simon