>> Let's keep this statement your personal opinion on the fact that it is
>> not
>> relevant. I still like to
>> know the opinion of others.
>

> If you want opinions, don't use a vote to collect them. This is a vote
> thread, not an opinion thread. Votes within the ASF are for decision
> making,
> not opinion polls. Jakarta is well known, in a negative way, for being
> overly vote-happy, so we should be doing our best to confine our use of
> voting to things that really need to be voted on. That includes neither
> opinion polls or consensus building.
>
> My statement was that the final destination of a project is not relevant
> for
> a vote on whether or not it should be accepted into the incubator. I
> consider that to be a simple fact about the way the incubator works, not an
> opinion.

The difference of opinion here is that you see this as a vote about incubating
ssl, which is simply
not our call. We can vote however on accepting ssl into Jakarta, which has the
consequence that
Jakarta is going to be actively involved as a champion / sponsor role to have
the Incubator accept
ssl. Say if the target is commons, we probably should have commons-ssl end up
in the website of
commons, have Julius participate on the commons website, instead of having
separate lists, separate
website and a separate PPMC and learning the commons way is pretty hard when
you are actually not
integrated into the commons community to begin with.
We are talking about around 20 classes here and 1 new committer (afaik). What
makes this case
special compared to eg webwork (came across this while wading through the
incubator archives to find
similar scenario's) ?

Maybe it's just a different definition of the meaning of full incubation.
Things I want see solved during incubation here is (assuming commons is the
target) :

- IP clearance (paperwork is done by the way)
- It contains crypto, so we probably need some legal advice on this (currently
a discussion on legal
btw)
- Making sure Julius is here to stay (so preventing a new dead commons project)
- Getting enough support in commons, so it's not a one man project
- Everything takes place on the commons mailinglists (user and dev)
- Release votes needs to be the same as any other commons component, with the
addition of an extra
incubator vote.
- Reuse of commons infrastructure, probably with the exception of svn (eg
incubator svn and have
separate permissions, with the whole of jakarta being able to work there)

Thoughts welcome...

Mvgr,
Martin