On 2/24/07, Martin van den Bemt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> Let's keep this statement your personal opinion on the fact that it is
>> not
>> relevant. I still like to
>> know the opinion of others.
>

> If you want opinions, don't use a vote to collect them. This is a vote
> thread, not an opinion thread. Votes within the ASF are for decision
> making,
> not opinion polls. Jakarta is well known, in a negative way, for being
> overly vote-happy, so we should be doing our best to confine our use of
> voting to things that really need to be voted on. That includes neither
> opinion polls or consensus building.
>
> My statement was that the final destination of a project is not relevant
> for
> a vote on whether or not it should be accepted into the incubator. I
> consider that to be a simple fact about the way the incubator works, not
an
> opinion.

The difference of opinion here is that you see this as a vote about
incubating ssl, which is simply
not our call.

Not true. There are two basic requirements for entry into incubation: a
Champion and a Sponsor. Once both are found, the project is accepted. That's
it. So by stepping up and being a Sponsor, the Jakarta PMC could play a
pivotal role in the incubation of this SSL project, because without a
Sponsor, incubation is not going to happen, and once it has one, and a
Champion, entry into incubation is a done deal.

We can vote however on accepting ssl into Jakarta, which has the consequence
that
Jakarta is going to be actively involved as a champion / sponsor role to
have the Incubator accept
ssl.

Those things are not quite as connected as you make them out to be. Yes, we
could decide that Jakarta would be happy to have the SSL project land here
after incubation. But that does not imply any particular involvement in the
incubation process, and in the absence of a decision to be the project's
Sponsor, it is meaningless.

So the real decision to be made is whether or not the Jakarta PMC is willing
to step up and be the Sponsor for the SSL project. That basically means two
things:

1) Do we believe that this project would make a worthy addition to the ASF?
This is regardless of where it might land after incubation.
2) Would we be willing to accept the project as part of Jakarta once
incubation is completed successfully?

Note that #2 says that we are _willing_ to accept it, and makes no statement
about whether the project will, in fact, end up as part of Jakarta, or go
somewhere else.

So let's restart the vote (again - sorry) and make it very clear that we are
voting to be the Sponsor of the SSL project, and thus voting on whether it
should enter into incubation or not.

Say if the target is commons, we probably should have commons-ssl end up in
the website of
commons, have Julius participate on the commons website, instead of having
separate lists, separate
website and a separate PPMC and learning the commons way is pretty hard
when you are actually not
integrated into the commons community to begin with.
We are talking about around 20 classes here and 1 new committer (afaik).
What makes this case
special compared to eg webwork (came across this while wading through the
incubator archives to find
similar scenario's) ?

Maybe it's just a different definition of the meaning of full incubation.
Things I want see solved during incubation here is (assuming commons is
the target) :

- IP clearance (paperwork is done by the way)
- It contains crypto, so we probably need some legal advice on this
(currently a discussion on legal
btw)
- Making sure Julius is here to stay (so preventing a new dead commons
project)
- Getting enough support in commons, so it's not a one man project

Commons is not the issue here. Building a community around the code, within
the ASF, is the issue. Without that, incubation will fail. This is, IMHO,
the single most important criterion for any ASF project.

- Everything takes place on the commons mailinglists (user and dev)
- Release votes needs to be the same as any other commons component, with
the addition of an extra
incubator vote.
- Reuse of commons infrastructure, probably with the exception of svn (eg
incubator svn and have
separate permissions, with the whole of jakarta being able to work there)

Agreed on these last three, with the proviso that they apply to whatever
environment the project might land in after successful incubation, be it
Jakarta or elsewhere.

--
Martin Cooper

Thoughts welcome...