Peter Davoust <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> posted
[EMAIL PROTECTED], excerpted below, on  Sun,
08 Oct 2006 11:42:54 -0400:

> You bring up an issue I wanted to ask about: Why wouldn't you use gmail as
> your personal e-mail? I've heard people saying it's evil, and that google
> is fascist, but I don't really know what to believe. Personally I like the
> features that gmail offers, and I think it's great that it stores all my
> mail ever sent so I can access my old e-mails still if my hard drive gets
> wiped (which happens accidentally or not every month or so). Thoughts?

For me (as it would seem the OP), it's the whole privacy thing.  Google
mines the data to serve ads, and associates that with your search profile
as well (same google-wide master cookie, if I'm not mistaken).  While
supposedly no one ever looks at that, only machines, corporate policies
can and do change.  As well, if the data is there, it is subject to search
warrant or with Bush run rampant over civil liberties, now with little or
no control whatsoever -- all they have to do is say it's national security
related to grab any existing records, pretty much, and it's getting worse,
not better.

Yes, there's the same deal to some extent with any mail, specifically
anything that's not encrypted, even if both ends run their own servers,
because it travels over the public internet and is subject to logging
there.  However, as I mentioned, I don't like the whole web interface
thing that much either, and then there's the whole thing with the same
company holding the search profile as well.  As it is, I don't do cookies
from Google as they are (with most of the rest of the net) set for no
cookies (or session-only) by default.  If google has a search profile on
me, it's by IP only, and that changes.  To get the link, they'd need to
talk to my ISP, and while government can do that, one would hope google
wouldn't be able to get that info from the ISP.

So it's a personal privacy thing.  No big deal for me tho as I never did
their mail in the first place, so I just don't start.  As for others, it's
up to them.  What they choose to do is their business.