2008/5/29 Hemmann, Volker Armin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> On Donnerstag, 29. Mai 2008, Mark Haney wrote:
>
> > Do I NEED kde-meta-4.0 installed?  The HOWTO says otherwise.  I'd prefer
> > to have a chance to fall back on to 3.5.9 if I need to.
>
> you can have kde-meta-4.0.4 and kde3.5.9 installed at the same time. I
> do...
> --

you aren't forced to have it installed but since the deps aren't fully ok
nowadays the kdebase-meta-4.0.4 is good to be installed. and since it's a
slotted install (as almost all gentoo major bump versions or even minor in
some cases as python, gcc, java, autotools and autoconf for example) they
are likely to not interfere with each others. you'll just have to make a
copy of your .kde folder. the first time you'll login the system will create
a .kde3.5, a .kde4 and a .kde symlink in your home directory. the first is
the config for the 3.5 enviroment, the second for the kde4 one and the
symlink points to the last environment you've used and after login is
pointing to the in use environment. if you haven't started yet kde4 and find
a .kde4 folder in your home directory then move it elsewhere and retry a
login after installing the kdebase-meta-4.0.4. this is the minimum required
package along with kdebase-startkde-4.0.4 to be able to use kde4. if you
don't like it then just remove the kde4 slot packages and you'll stay with
kde3.5. just remember that a qt rebuild needs a kdelibs rebuild: the qt4
needs  also the kdelibs-3.5.x rebuild to have the qt4 apps still working in
the correct way (lastfm would display only broken stuff without kdelibs
rebuild after a qt4 upgrade/rebuild), while the qt3 doesn't need a
kdelibs-4.0.4 rebuild, but only a kdelibs-3.5.x one. i'd also advice you to
leave the 4.0.4 branch and test the 4.1 beta one (seems to be better in
terms of quality and usability than 4.0.4 one).

--
dott. ing. beso