Beso wrote:
2008/5/30 Beso <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

2008/5/30 Mark Haney <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

Beso wrote:

2008/5/29 Hemmann, Volker Armin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

 On Donnerstag, 29. Mai 2008, Mark Haney wrote:
 Do I NEED kde-meta-4.0 installed?  The HOWTO says otherwise.  I'd
prefer
to have a chance to fall back on to 3.5.9 if I need to.

you can have kde-meta-4.0.4 and kde3.5.9 installed at the same time. I
do...

 you aren't forced to have it installed but since the deps aren't fully
ok
nowadays the kdebase-meta-4.0.4 is good to be installed. and since it's a
slotted install (as almost all gentoo major bump versions or even minor
in
some cases as python, gcc, java, autotools and autoconf for example) they
are likely to not interfere with each others. you'll just have to make a
copy of your .kde folder. the first time you'll login the system will
create
a .kde3.5, a .kde4 and a .kde symlink in your home directory. the first
is
the config for the 3.5 enviroment, the second for the kde4 one and the
symlink points to the last environment you've used and after login is
pointing to the in use environment. if you haven't started yet kde4 and
find
a .kde4 folder in your home directory then move it elsewhere and retry a
login after installing the kdebase-meta-4.0.4. this is the minimum
required
package along with kdebase-startkde-4.0.4 to be able to use kde4. if you
don't like it then just remove the kde4 slot packages and you'll stay
with
kde3.5. just remember that a qt rebuild needs a kdelibs rebuild: the qt4
needs  also the kdelibs-3.5.x rebuild to have the qt4 apps still working
in
the correct way (lastfm would display only broken stuff without kdelibs
rebuild after a qt4 upgrade/rebuild), while the qt3 doesn't need a
kdelibs-4.0.4 rebuild, but only a kdelibs-3.5.x one. i'd also advice you
leave the 4.0.4 branch and test the 4.1 beta one (seems to be better in
terms of quality and usability than 4.0.4 one).

Hey, I'll all for testing 4.1, but how do I get it?  I don't see it in
portage?

there's a thread on the forum about installing the 4.1 beta 1 on gentoo. i
think that in the next weeks the rc might hit portage in the second half of
june.

forgotten the thread link:

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-5106540.html#5106540

Thanks for the URL. I've never dealt with overlays before, but I"m open to it. My question is, if I use the kde4.1 overlay how do I get rid of it, when the time comes that 4.1 is in portage? If I delete the overlay does that delete the packages that were installed with it? I read the UG on it, but it wasn't very clear.

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support