2008/5/31 Duncan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> Beso <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> posted
> [EMAIL PROTECTED], excerpted
> below, on  Fri, 30 May 2008 19:17:59 +0000:
>
> > 2008/5/30 Duncan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>
> In any case, 4.1 appears to have fixed at least some of the 4.0 blockers,
> including the big one here, the lack of multipanel support and
> configuration, so unless there's something really stupid like that
> missing proxy support (tho it looks like it'll work for me after all),
> there's at least a decent chance I'll find it at least minimally usable,
> now, enough to remerge it and start the task of customizing it to my
> needs and switching my habits to the 4.x methodology, even if I have to
> keep parts of KDE3 around for awhile.  That's what I had intended to do
> with 4.0, but it was just too *broken*, too many now vital but missing in
> 4.0 features, to make it work, even for this normally out-in-front
> bleeding edge guy who /loves/ many betas.  That's why I say 4.0 was only
> early tech-preview alpha, not even beta, because betas normally have the
> features all there or at least blocked out even if buggy, and 4.0...
> didn't!  So 4.1's the first real beta, if it even reaches that.  It might
> still be more a late tech preview alpha.  Time will tell.

or you could just use the kde4 apps in kde3.5. flameeyes has posted a dirty
hack on his blog on how to use kde4 apps from 3.5 environment natively (ie
calling them directly from command line without the full path). you'll just
need the kdebase-meta package and then you could test them out. just one
warning: after installing solid hal would stop mounting stuff on request and
you'd need to work the mounting through dolphin. the device manager handles
the dolphin calls directly in plasma environment. the thing that is
interesting is the ability in plasma to create new workspaces. i think that
the zoom out feature of plasma desktop is meant for that and it should work
out similar to the leopard workspaces. also the widget exposè i think would
work as the osx one, since there's an option to put the widget on a layer
external to the desktop. the thing is that after getting out of the layer
the widget would stay on the visible desktop. the problems still there are
with phonon which doesn't implements enough features yet to be able to port
kaffeine and amarok only through phonon, so these packages devs are still
doing some extra job on that. still, the desktop has now come to be quite
usable.

--
dott. ing. beso