On Tuesday 18 January 2005 07:45, Stuart Longland wrote:
> The results:
>
> First Run: 36min 15.996sec
> Second Run: 22min 56.704sec
> Third Run: 2min  56.696sec
That's horrible, yeah. And it makes me say two things:
- We need confcache, because confcache would reuse configure results _between_
packages, so that you ran kdebase's configure once, and then kdenetwork
kdepim etc (and their derived ebuilds) would get cached results. That's 15
times as fast as configuring all of today's monolithic ebuilds without
confcache.
- Autoconf itself needs to be fixed or replaced. Its overhead is simply way
too high, and apparently it wasn't designed with a performance constraint on
configure scripts in mind. If it was, it'd have had better cache support
built in, so that we wouldn't need to write something like confcache
ourselves. There are other tricks it could have employed, too...

Can someone here speak in defense of autoconf?

>  Personally, I'd much rather keep the monolithic packages as the KDE
> developers intended.
They didn't intend that, and they're prefectly happy with nearly every distro
but ours creating separate packages for separate apps. There hasn't been a
big flocking of KDE.org developers to Gentoo because of its monolithic
ebuilds.

> I think the better way to handle this would be to
> set an environment variable... e.g.
>
>  # KDE_PKG='+konqueror +kicker +kdm -kicker' emerge kdebase
As I replied below in this thread, this has almost all the disadvanatges of
DO_NOT_COMPILE.

--
Dan Armak
Gentoo Linux developer (KDE)