>  Now, take into account, that kdebase has some 40 or so packages within
> it.  Add that up, you're looking at more than 2 hours spent sitting in
> front of a machine watching a ./configure script.  It's even worse if
> the work directory is cleaned out and fresh source unpacked.

One thing to keep in mind - it will get better for patchlevel releases.  If
you installed KDE 3.4.0 with the monolithic ebuilds, then to upgrade to 3.4.1
requires another complete install of the same size.  Heck, even a security
patch to one file in kdebase requires a whole reinstallation of kdebase.

With the new setup, we can make it so that only the programs that got changed
between 3.4.0->3.4.1 get updated.  Dan can help with the exact numbers here,
but in our experience you're looking at only having to update around 30% of
the original packages, as the rest were unchanged between releases.

Caleb