On Tuesday 18 January 2005 12:37, Dan Armak wrote:

> Can someone here speak in defense of autoconf?

It's better than both libtool (clearly very broken) and automake (which
creates recursive and thus broken makefiles). Autoconf's caching is broken
though, just as many of it's checks (also because of bad coding), and for
packagers it should be possible to just supply the answers instead of running
all kinds of checks (we might want to look at wrapping up the makefile
creation (and other .in file expansion) to see whether we can do that all
without running a ./configure script)

Paul

--
Paul de Vrieze