On Tuesday 18 January 2005 17:41, Dan Armak wrote:
> On Tuesday 18 January 2005 17:13, Stuart Longland wrote:
> > What exactly does confcache do?  The above was literally:
> >
> > $ tar -xjvf /home/portage/distfiles/kdebase-3.3.1.tar.bz2
> > $ cd kdebase-3.3.1
> > $ time ./configure --cache-file=/tmp/kdebase-cache
> > $ make distclean
> > $ time ./configure --cache-file=/tmp/kdebase-cache
> > $ time ./configure --cache-file=/tmp/kdebase-cache -n
> >
> > Isn't the third case what confcache would attempt to do?
>
> Er. Now that you pull my attention to it...
> As I understand it, configure -n creates but doesn't run config.status,
> meaning it doesn't process Makefile.in to create Makefile. Any caching has
> to do with tests, not with running config.status. So, on your system it
> takes three minutes to run the tests but half an hour to create the
> makefiles? Something's wrong here: creating the makefiles is just a matter
> of expanding macros! How can it take that much time?
Does it use perl to process the makefiles? It's supposed to be much faster
than without perl, and should be on by default (--enable-fast-perl option).
If it's on, config.status will print 'fast creating foo/Makefile' rather than
'creating foo/Makefile'.

You could also try the --disable-dependency-tracking parameter, but it
shouldn't affect configure time as much as it does build time.

I'm just really surprised by the disparity between your configure -n and
config.status run times...

--
Dan Armak
Gentoo Linux developer (KDE)