On Thu, 2005-01-20 at 14:11 +0900, Georgi Georgiev wrote:
> So people are currently trusting the *name* of a person, but...  What
> happens if I show a proper ID but use fake e-mail addresses in my key?
> Nobody told me how you verify e-mail addresses...

That is why you send the person an encrypted email to the address.  If
they can decrypt it, then they are who they say they are, as they have
access to both the email address, and the GPG key that you verified
against their ID.

> So, if I had an anonymous uid in my key, how likely is someone to sign
> it without meeting in person? I am not claiming to be Georgi Georgiev
> with that uid, I only claim to be [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Well, seeing as how it was still in your same key, it would still be
you.  The signature won't carry over to another key, if you were to
remove it, so what exactly is your point?  That you can use another
email address to identify yourself?  We've already said that we won't
sign it without meeting you, so this whole argument is moot.

> To see what I mean -- gpg --refresh-keys [EMAIL PROTECTED] and verify the
> signature of this message. The latest uid that I just created has no
> name associated with it, so no need for an ID, right? I just need to
> prove that [EMAIL PROTECTED] is my address, right?

Say what?  No.  You would be signed that [EMAIL PROTECTED] is Georgi
Georgiev and has the key ID 44F51266.  Adding another uid to the same
key, with or without a name, won't change that.  Also, when you sign, it
asks you if you want to sign all the uid for the key.  I would say "no"
to that and only sign the one I have verified myself.

--
Chris Gianelloni
Release Engineering - Operational/QA Manager