On Thursday 20 January 2005 7:37 pm, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 20, 2005 at 07:28:42PM +0000, Luke-Jr wrote:
> > Actually, Gentoo is. The government doesn't insist on people signing
> > exactly what their ID has printed. Christopher could sign Chris, you can
> > omit/abbreviate names, etc... With common law, the government even admits
> > it does not have the authority to tell you what your name it-- if it is
> > your name (by definition of the word 'name'), they accept it.
> > Gentoo deals specifically with copyrights. The US government doesn't
> > require a name of any kind to be used for a copyright. I could write some
> > random program without any comments or copyright information whatsoever,
> > and it would still be legally copyrighted to me.
>
> No, they are not. If you bring government ID with a name on it that is
> good enough. So if you get a passport/driving license with whichever
> name you would like this week then that is good enough.
>
> So we are exactly as fussy.

I think you missed the part about the US government not requiring an ID for
copyrights.

Also, if you want to move to the topic of contracts (such as one giving
copyright for code to Gentoo), there are plenty of perfectly valid ones that
can be accepted by clicking or selecting "I Accept". No name, signature, or
ID needed.
--
Luke-Jr
Developer, Utopios