On Thursday 20 October 2005 20:37, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
> I'd prefer that people don't come to depend on metabuilds at all.
OK, we can do this.

> See
> http://dev.gentoo.org/~spyderous/xorg-x11/porting_to_modular_x_howto.txt.
That file says there won't be any x11-related virtuals anymore. Are you sure
no package uses it in the sense of 'any X server' instead of 'any X client
libs+headers'?

> Couple of ideas here.
>
> 1) We do as you suggest, and make people emerge xorg-x11
> 2) KDE could add a USE=X and dep X? ( xorg-server )

(2) is bad for several reasons:

Firstly, as I said in my other replies, this would change the current meaning
of the X USE flag. The original meaning would stay without a flag.

Today it means 'enable support for clienside X11'. You want to make it mean
'install X11 server'. If I'm building a headless box without an X11 server,
but I do want to emerge KDE and run it over ssh -Y from another box, I need
two useflags to specify this. But even if we introduce a new USE flag
'Xserver', on by default where X is on by default, and used as you describe
above, the problems I describe below will remain.

Secondly, there can be more than one X11 server (kdrive, etc). Depending on
xorg-server is bad. If anything, we should introduce a virtual/x11-server.

Thirdly, it's a 'convenience dep': whether xorg-server is installed or not
won't affect the behavior of KDE in any way (given a working DISPLAY
setting).

Finally, it requires that extra change to (ideally) all X11 client apps. It's
not intuitive, and so easy to forget when writing new ebuilds.

> We will still install some fonts, but not all, and I'll note that in the
> metabuilds text.
Which ones? Selected how? I'm asking because I don't want to work too hard on
deciding which fonts KDE should depend on :-)

--
Dan Armak
Gentoo Linux developer (KDE)