On Tuesday 13 December 2005 11:45, Andrew Muraco wrote:
> Jason Stubbs wrote:
> >On Tuesday 13 December 2005 11:22, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:

> >>At present, by using portageq with a hardcoded suffix. If in the future
> >>Portage introduces new functionality, then clients and the
> >>specification can easily be updated to handle said functionality.
> >
> >And how can that be adapted to work with overlays, completely ignoring the
> >possibility of distinct repositories. Overlays is something that exists
> >already and news support for them is a request that will appear as soon as
> >news support is added.
>
> Your Point is Moot ...

Interesting use of capitals.

> because an overlay (at present) is going to be exprimental software,

or a repository from a non-English speaking community Gentoo site...

> (unsupported offically anyways) and so you _should_ know what risks your
> taking,

except if your a new non-English-speaking user utilizing such a repository.

> this GLEP is to warn you about supported updates/changes which you _need_ to
> know about.

This GLEP is about getting news regarding a set of ebuilds to the user. Making
it only about the Gentoo supported tree serves no purpose.

> Why should an overlay need to have news if the user has the consciensely
> update and maintain it to begin it.

Because they already support package.mask, thirdpartymirrors, eclasses and
just about anything else that exists in the supported tree.

--
Jason Stubbs