On Friday 03 March 2006 18:14, Stuart Herbert wrote:
> If we're going to do this, then at least we should be implementing a
> consistent standard across all ebuilds.  F.ex, when SSL and TLS
> conflict, we should have a standard saying that all ebuilds will
> consistenly favour one over the other.  That's much more deterministic
> than having some ebuilds prefer SSL, and others prefer TLS (for
> example).

bad idea ... choosing a default is a per-package issue.  say we take this path
and we declare that if a package supports both tls and ssl, you must utilize
tls over ssl regardless.  then you come to a package has really shitty tls
support but it has wonderful ssl support.  you're saying that defaulting to
tls is a better idea than ssl ?  a global decision like this just wont cut
it.
-mike