On Tuesday 04 July 2006 23:58, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> On Tuesday 04 July 2006 18:43, Enrico Weigelt wrote:
> > We should think about mechanisms to check if the service is
> > actually running. This could also be used for frequently service
> > checks and notification.
>
> there is no fool proof way to do this
> -mike

No there's not as what the init script actually starts is up to the init
script.

However, with baselayout-1.12 we intercept calls to start-stop-daemon and
store information about what was started (binary, pidfile) so when root then
does "/etc/init.d/foo status" we check to see if all the binaries are still
running. If not then we do an "/etc/init.d/foo stop" behind the scenes.

But some init scripts don't use start-stop-daemon, like sshd. These scripts
will need to be re-working around start-stop-daemon.

--
Roy Marples <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Gentoo/Linux Developer (baselayout, networking)