> The problem is: if the service still runs,

yes, I know. But I read the bug report and Enrico wrote that for some reasons
the service didn't run anymore.
"if it had been started but terminated abnormally (not through this script)" and in this case the zap argument is for me the right solution :)

> We should think about mechanisms to check if the service is
> actually running.

Yes, that's right, I have sometimes problem with apache2 and need to kill
apache2 and use the zap argument.

cu

Pablo Yánez Trujillo
http://klingsor.informatik.uni-freiburg.de/

Enrico Weigelt wrote:
* Pablo Yanez Trujillo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> schrieb:
what about "/etc/init.d/ntpd zap"? It deletes the file on /var/.... and set the status of the init.d-file as not started. It is useful for such a case :)

The problem is: if the service still runs, it will attemt to start it
twice. So this cannot be used in automatic processes, just for manual
intervention.

We should think about mechanisms to check if the service is actually running. This could also be used for frequently service
checks and notification.

cu