On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 08:29:34 -0500
Richard Freeman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
> > Ok. What's the EAPI for the following ebuild that's written in an
> > EAPI that hasn't been published yet? And how would I extract it?
> >
> > # Copyright blah blah
> >
> > import vim-spell using language="en"
> >

> Counterexample.  How do you determine the eapi for the following file,
> which uses an EAPI that is yet unpublished - but which specifies that
> the EAPI NOT go in the filename:  foo-1.2.ebuild

You're back to using a pre-source EAPI to extract the real EAPI then,
which is the way things are currently -- and it means that any EAPI
that specifies what you describe has to be sufficiently close to EAPI 0
that package managers that only understand EAPI 0 will work with it.

> Making a decision to put the EAPI in the filename for all time doesn't
> seem any less restricting than making a decision to put EAPI=1 or
> EAPI="1" in the ebuild for all time.  And the latter is a whole lot
> less messy as far as I can see.

It's an awful lot less restrictive.

> So far the only objection I've seen to putting EAPI in the ebuild is
> that at some point in the future we might want to do it differently.
> Well, that is nice, but the same issue would apply to putting it in
> the filename - we could want to change that someday too.  And if we
> put it in the filename why would we want to put it in a function or
> whatever inside the ebuild as well?  Wouldn't that just be redundant.

If the GLEP is followed, you *can* change the filename to absolutely
anything that isn't either *.ebuild or *.ebuild-(any-previous-eapi), or
various silly things like metadata.xml and files.

> And if the whole point of this is to allow massive changes to ebuild
> format - why not wait until a need for such a change exists before
> instituting it.  Why not defer this GLEP until it has some benefit and
> not just pain associated with it?

There is plenty of need, as you would know had you either read the GLEP
or paid attention on this list recently.

--
Ciaran McCreesh