On 20-02-2008 19:23:26 +0100, Marius Mauch wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 12:59:11 -0500
> "William L. Thomson Jr." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Please excuse my ignorance if this is a naive comment or has been
> > brought up before. With all the non amd processors now with 64bit
> > support. amd64 as a keyword seems a bit odd and off maybe.
> >
> > What's the possibility of switching amd64 to x86_64?
> >
> > Unless the work to do that is greater than the value of the change.
>
> As the benefit is close to nothing IMO the required work is definitely
> greater by several orders of magnitude.

Well, that depends a bit.  We basically introduced x64 a shorthand, and
changed some keywords in prefix, of which I just finished the
transition.  It's basically just setting the new keyword in the
profiles, and then gradually changing the keywords, e.g. on a repoman
commit.  That's sort of how I did it.  You don't need any Portage
support, IMHO.

But I think for the current amd64 keyword, it's not worth the hassle to
change it.  Though, if for instance amd64-fbsd would be introduced, I
think this keyword should have something more generic arch instead, like
the x64 we use in prefix now.

--
Fabian Groffen
Gentoo on a different level