On Wed, 18 Feb 2009 14:06:46 +0000
Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccre...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 18 Feb 2009 08:39:58 +0100
> Alexis Ballier <aball...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> > Then, for the nth time, what would be the good solution?
>
> If you explicitly need compression, do it by hand, since there aren't
> any mechanisms for guaranteed compression anyway.

Yes of course.

> If you don't explicitly need compression, don't do anything.

... and mark relevant stuff as "ok to be compressed with whatever suits
you best"... sounds familiar? :)

> And if you're trying to make a space-critical distribution, start
> looking at the big things, not the 4% things.

When I do something space critical I exclude /usr/share/doc and a
couple of others... that doesn't mean I do like wasting space on
something not space critical when compression algorithms exist.

Alexis.