On Wed, 18 Feb 2009 19:28:46 +0100
Alexis Ballier <aball...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> > If you don't explicitly need compression, don't do anything.
>
> ... and mark relevant stuff as "ok to be compressed with whatever
> suits you best"... sounds familiar? :)

No. That's entirely the wrong approach, because it relies upon every
ebuild having support for it, and most don't. The right approach, if
you can demonstrate that there's a genuine benefit to compressing
documentation, is to make a proposal for a future EAPI for compression
by default for certain directories, with an override available for
ebuilds that need specific behaviour.

> > And if you're trying to make a space-critical distribution, start
> > looking at the big things, not the 4% things.
>
> When I do something space critical I exclude /usr/share/doc and a
> couple of others... that doesn't mean I do like wasting space on
> something not space critical when compression algorithms exist.

If you care about space, focus on something relevant. You are wondering
whether turning the radio off will make your car more fuel efficient
whilst driving with flat tyres, the windows open and in the wrong gear.

--
Ciaran McCreesh