On Wed, 18 Feb 2009 18:36:11 +0000
Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccre...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 18 Feb 2009 19:28:46 +0100
> Alexis Ballier <aball...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> > > If you don't explicitly need compression, don't do anything.
> >
> > ... and mark relevant stuff as "ok to be compressed with whatever
> > suits you best"... sounds familiar? :)
>
> No. That's entirely the wrong approach,

I would call it an "unperfect yet useful approach" that unfortunately
we've been using for eapi 0-2.

> because it relies upon every
> ebuild having support for it, and most don't.

That's why it needs to be improved.

> The right approach, if
> you can demonstrate that there's a genuine benefit to compressing
> documentation, is to make a proposal for a future EAPI for compression
> by default for certain directories, with an override available for
> ebuilds that need specific behaviour.

And I agree this is the right solution but yet unimplemented...

> > > And if you're trying to make a space-critical distribution, start
> > > looking at the big things, not the 4% things.
> >
> > When I do something space critical I exclude /usr/share/doc and a
> > couple of others... that doesn't mean I do like wasting space on
> > something not space critical when compression algorithms exist.
>
> If you care about space, focus on something relevant.
[...]

You got me wrong there it seems: I do not care about space, however I
do care about useless waste of space.

Alexis.