2010/1/12 Markos Chandras <hwoar...@gentoo.org>:
> If you feel like it, become a proxy-maintainer and poke a developer to put
> your ebuilds on tree. Have you ever heard of that ? :)

Proxy-maintainership should be given a MUCH higher profile in Gentoo,
in my opinion. It is a virtually unknown option.

Another thing that works in my experience, but this is up to the
herds/projects, is having an official overlay where devs and users can
work closely together. This allows users to commit ebuilds and
patches, while there is quality control by the involved devs. Devs can
keep an eye on such overlays and move stuff to portage when they are
ready. Sunrise is the most obvious example for this, for
maintainer-wanted packages. But it works equally well for us in the Qt
project with qting-edge, and I believe kde and pro-audio have the same
experience.

But I also believe we need a better structure to handle
maintainer-needed, maintainer-wanted and nominally maintained but
ignored packages. Maybe we should form a team, which would be
dedicated to take care of such things, and which would have a review
policy for user submitted ebuilds and patches in bugzilla. A bit like
treecleaners, but bringing life instead of death. What do you think?

Cheers,
--
Ben de Groot
Gentoo Linux developer (qt, media, lxde, desktop-misc)