* Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto schrieb am 01.08.11 um 11:19 Uhr:
> I agree with Eray. Furthermore, please stop trying to reverse "the
> game". It's those that want to break existing policies and conventions
> that have to justify why they want to do that, not those that want to
> keep using what has worked for years.

I wouldn't call the current static -workarounds, and files from / using
files from /usr, neither a clean solution or working

The separation is unnecessary maintaince burden for something that has
maintaince free replacement

> You may not need or like it, but I want to be able to use
> partition  schemes like the following without needing to use
> an initramfs:

Sorry for dismissing the lines below that ":" mark then. Feel free to
ignore me, no offense taken, but I'll be disappointed if you won't
provide a reasoning for resisting part of the solution

> Also, desktop users that don't split the /usr path might not like the
> "stress" that /usr/portage will add to the / partition - not to talk
> about the size and inode constraints.

Good point, so handbook will need a patch for /usr/portage partition
recommendation after the fact

> I'm growing tired of how complex and over-designed desktop technologies
> that hide stuff from the users keep trying to break the "unix way" and
> convince us they're "awesome". No, I don't need or want *kit, groups
> exist for something. No, applications that do "magic stuff" with dbus
> and xml (and I like xml) on the users back and hide how X work aren't a
> "good thing(tm)".

Then one should do something about it, like providing an alternative or
at very least, provide upstreams with patches for making the new stacks
optional

> Finally, Gentoo's init system is and will likely be for a long time
> openrc, so stop trying to push crazy or experimental init systems - most
> with a seemingly "poor design" and unable to do what an init system
> needs to do (start and stop services).

This isn't about systemd, but indeed it will solve one compability
obstacle for them too. No harm there.