Michał Górny wrote:
On Tue, 17 Jan 2012 21:38:26 -0600
Dale<rdalek1...@gmail.com>  wrote:

Michał Górny wrote:
On Tue, 10 Jan 2012 19:14:52 +0100
Enrico Weigelt<weig...@metux.de>   wrote:

* Micha?? Górny<mgo...@gentoo.org>   schrieb:

Does working hard involve compiling even more packages statically?
I guess, he means keeping udev in / ?
Because adding 80 KiB of initramfs hurts so much? We should then put
more work just to ensure that admin doesn't have to waste 15
minutes to recompile the kernel (if necessary), create an initramfs
and add it to bootloader config?

80Kbs?  You sure about that?  I somehow failed to mention this
before. I noticed it when I saw another reply to this post.  Reality
check:
80 KiB is enough for mounting plain /usr and booting with it. See
tiny-initramfs (but I haven't tested it thoroughly).

My plan is to have /usr on lvm. I think it will end up larger and it still adds one more thing to break.

I really wish someone would get a better plan. I think I see a garbage dump ahead with lots of Linux distros headed that way.

Dale

:-)  :-)

--
I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how
you interpreted my words!

Miss the compile output?  Hint:
EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"