Michał Górny wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Jan 2012 01:20:03 -0600
> Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Michał Górny wrote:

>>> 80 KiB is enough for mounting plain /usr and booting with it. See
>>> tiny-initramfs (but I haven't tested it thoroughly).
>>>

>> My plan is to have /usr on lvm.  I think it will end up larger and it
>> still adds one more thing to break.
>>
>> I really wish someone would get a better plan.  I think I see a
>> garbage dump ahead with lots of Linux distros headed that way.
>
> Better plan how? LVM requires udev for some reason. Letting rootfs grow
> with data unnecessary for a number of users is no good plan either.
> Just install that initramfs, be done with it and let us focus on actual
> work rather than fixing random breakages.
>
> We already usually have separate /boot to satisfy the needs of
> bootloader. Then you want us to chain yet another filesystem to satisfy
> the needs of another layer. Initramfs reuses /boot for that.

The point is, I don't like initramfs.  I don't want to use one.  It's
funny how I never needed one before either but now things are being
broken.  It's not LVM that is breaking it either.  I wouldn't need the
initramfs even if It was on a regular partition until the recent so
called "improvements."

Dale

:-)  :-)

how you interpreted my words!