On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 8:43 PM, Aaron W. Swenson <titanof...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> On 03/27/2012 03:05 PM, William Hubbs wrote:
>> All,
>>
>> I know this has come up before, but I don't really recall what the
>> specific objections were.
>>
>> IMO the portage directory doesn't belong under /usr at all. I was
>> chatting with another developer who uses
>> /var/cache/portage/{tree,distfiles}, and I'm thinking about
>> switching my default setup to do this.
>>
>> I realize that historically the portage tree has been installed
>> under /usr, but Can we consider changing this default for new
>> installations and providing instructions for users for how to get
>> the portage tree out of /usr? William
>>

> So, we're all getting way off topic and discussing reorganizing the
> whole enchilada.
>
> How about we all agree or disagree on the primary point: The Portage
> tree doesn't belong in /usr.
>
> I believe that it does belong under /var/cache/.

I believe it's /var/lib/<name>. Here's what FHS says:
/var/cache is intended for cached data from applications. Such data is
locally generated as a result of time-consuming I/O or calculation.
The application must be able to regenerate or restore the data. Unlike
/var/spool, the cached files can be deleted without data loss.

And:
/var/lib/<name> is the location that must be used for all distribution
packaging support.