On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 2:53 PM, Christoph Mende <ange...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> I believe it's /var/lib/<name>. Here's what FHS says:
> /var/cache is intended for cached data from applications. Such data is
> locally generated as a result of time-consuming I/O or calculation.
> The application must be able to regenerate or restore the data. Unlike
> /var/spool, the cached files can be deleted without data loss.

I can do rm -rf /usr/portage ; mkdir /usr/portage ; emerge --sync and
it will work just fine, I think.

That really does point to cache.  The only thing different from a
browser cache is that portage doesn't automatically refresh it.

distfiles and packages are the same (well, depending on where you get
your binpackages from, that might or might not be a cache per-se - if
you're just using FEATURES=buildpkg then you can do an emerge -e world
and get it back).

> And:
> /var/lib/<name> is the location that must be used for all distribution
> packaging support.

I think that things like the local list of installed packages belongs
in this category.  It is a bit debatable how the tree fits into this.

However, this really is bikeshedding.  Sure, /usr isn't ideal, but
unless we actually start supporting some use case where it doesn't
work so well in the future, I doubt we'll ever see it move.  Plus,
there is even a case for keeping it in /usr in the Fedora-envisioned
/usr-is-ro world.  You could have a complete installation and a
portage tree that it was generated from all snapshotted there.  Sure,
maybe /usr/lib or /usr/share might make more sense then, but again, I
don't see it changing unless it actually results in a real benefit to
users.

Rich