Ian Stakenvicius posted on Wed, 28 Mar 2012 15:53:16 -0400 as excerpted:

> Although, we could always make emerge do an automatic --sync if, say,
> /path/to/portage/profiles doesn't exist.  :)

Ugh, no.  Some (many?) of us have a separate portage tree partition, and
occasionally accidentally do an emerge <something> without it mounted.
Having portage decide that it should automatically start downloading a
new tree directly onto the filesystem containing the mountpoint is *NOT*
ideal!