On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 10:26:22PM +1300, Kent Fredric wrote

> Though of course, if anybody has custom stuff in say, /usr/portage/local/
> which they make by hand, nuking /usr/portage will make you *Very*
> unpopular.

  http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?full=1#book_part3_chap5
in the install handbook gives "/usr/local/portage" as an example overlay
directory.  I thought it was implicit that one shouldn't edit or create
files in /usr/portage because they may be overwritten by the system e.g.
during an "emerge --sync".  Maybe the manual needs to state this
explicitly.  Also, /usr/local is the "standard" place to keep one's own
software and/or global customizations that aren't handled by the package
manager, but don't belong in one user's home directory.

--
Walter Dnes <waltd...@waltdnes.org>