On 29/09/12 10:26 AM, hasufell wrote:
> On 09/29/2012 04:19 PM, Ian Stakenvicius wrote:

>>> What are the reasons to change the API in the first place?
>>> There has to be a good reason, cause this will involve yet
>>> another migration of many ebuilds. I don't see any bugreports.
>
>>> I fear this will cause more confusion, i.e. some ebuilds using
>>> the old distutils, some using python-distutils-ng and some
>>> using distutils-r1 resulting in weird tree behavior.
>

>> Given that at present, distutils-r1 and python-distutils-ng have
>>  identical end-results, I think that the introduction of
>> distutils-r1 to the tree should also involve a sed against all
>> the existing ebuilds using python-distutils-ng to move them to
>> the new eclass.  Then python-distutils-ng only needs to remain to
>> support overlays.
>

> That still does not explain the reasons why this work was
> initiated.
>
> If there is any way to fix the current eclass, that should be
> preferred.

There isn't so much a problem with the current python-distutils-ng
eclass but rather it's to expand it to a more comprehensive
replacement for both distutils and python eclasses.  In order to do
that efficiently, most of the core functionality should be moved so
that the new distutils is more like a wrapper to the new python.

This could certainly be done by patching the existing eclass, but
mgorny wants to use new eclass names instead of keeping the current
one.  Hence the rename.  I think that's about it..