On 09/29/2012 08:39 PM, Michał Górny wrote:
> On Sat, 29 Sep 2012 16:37:15 +0200 Dirkjan Ochtman <d...@gentoo.org>
> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Sep 29, 2012 at 4:26 PM, hasufell <hasuf...@gentoo.org>
>> wrote:
>>> That still does not explain the reasons why this work was
>>> initiated.
>>>
>>> If there is any way to fix the current eclass, that should be
>>> preferred.
>>
>> I tend to agree. Michał, let me first say I value the time you
>> have invested to make the eclasses better. However, at this point
>> I have a strong feeling that we have more people willing to write
>> code to fix things than we have people building consensus on
>> what features/policies/mechanisms we need to make it easy to
>> write high-quality ebuilds for Python/distutils. I would prefer
>> discussions on problems that the current ebuilds have and
>> discussions on how to solve them, not at the code level, but that
>> the mechanism level.
>
> The main issue: noone wants to even touch python.eclass or
> anything nearby.
>
> The second issue: python-distutils-ng isn't good enough. It has
> too many things hard-wired. I think I have already pointed enough
> problems with it. Not that many people cared to respond.
>
> It's sad that people don't care to respond when you point the
> issues out but then complain when you do something to fix them.

Did you CC gentoo-dev? I cannot find the tread.

> [example needed]

??

I meant that not all tree ebuilds use the same python-eclass
implementation which IS a problem. Adding another implementation does
not really improve that situation.

> Please list the features. Preferably, order them by usefulness,
> with exact use cases.

As I said, I think the python herd already did a list on this.

Btw. could you give exact examples on how to convert widely used
python ebuilds with your eclasses?
E.g. dev-python/pygobject dev-python/setuptools or dev-libs/boost?
How can I convert shebangs consistently and recursively?