On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 04:28:20AM +0100, Ch??-Thanh Christopher Nguy???n wrote
> Pacho Ramos schrieb:> # Pacho Ramos <pa...@gentoo.org> (24 Nov 2012)
> > # Doesn't build with current kernels (#344889). People needs to
> > # migrate to x11-drivers/xf86-video-fbdev and be sure they have
> > # CONFIG_STUB_POULSBO enabled in their kernels.
> > # Removal in a month.
> > x11-drivers/psb-kmod
> > x11-drivers/xf86-video-psb
>
> Telling people to use xf86-video-fbdev for Poulsbo would be bad
> advice, they should use xf86-video-modesetting.

  Pacho+Christopher, I actually have an early 32-bit-only Poulsbo/Atom
ASUS netbook working.  I think I can speak with a little authority
because of that.  See message that I posted in Gentoo-Users...
http://gentoo.2317880.n4.nabble.com/Intel-GMA500-Poulsbo-works-with-recent-kernels-td158517.html
a few notes...

1) The instructions at
http://blog.bodhizazen.net/linux/linux-gma500-poulsbo-driver-moved-out-of-staging/
list the "make menuconfig" steps necessary for the Poulsbo GPU.  Since
the "Intel GMA5/600 KMS Framebuffer" option is selected, xf86-video-fbdev
*MUST* be used as the video driver.  I did try xf86-video-modesetting, a
few minutes ago and it does not support X Windows on my machine.  I also
suggest that those instructions be copied into the mask message, at
least the following...

* Kernel setup (make menuconfig)
Device Drivers ->
  Graphics support ->
    DRM (Direct Rendering Manager) -> Intel GMA5/600 KMS Framebuffer

* X video driver x11-drivers/xf86-video-fbdev

2) CONFIG_STUB_POULSBO is not absolutely necessary, but may be helpful.
It is related to specialized stuff like controlling brightness and other
low-level video control stuff

3) See also
http://blog.bodhizazen.net/linux/ubuntu-12-04-gma500-poulsbo-boot-options/
for more Poulsbo-specific tweaking.