On Sat, Dec 15, 2012 at 05:16:48AM +0100, Peter Stuge wrote

> I hope that eudev wants to do the respectable thing for any fork, ie.
> work hard to minimize the amount of wasted effort in both projects by
> sharing much code and bugfixes.

  That would be nice if systemd/udev upstream was agreeable.  On the
other hand, if the systemd/udev maintainers had accepted bug reports
("WONTFIX" is not acceptance) and had accepted proposed patches, there
wouldn't have been a need for the eudev fork in the first place.
Lennart Poettering has admitted systemd's outright hostility to to
standalone udev...
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/systemd-devel/2012-August/006066.html

> Well, we intent to continue to make it possible to run udevd outside
> of systemd. But that's about it. We will ***NOT POLISH THAT, OR ADD
> NEW FEATURES*** to that or anything.
>
> OTOH we do polish behaviour of udev when used *within* systemd
> however, and that's our primary focus.
>
> And what we will ***CERTAINLY NOT DO IS COMPROMISE THE UNIFORM
> INTEGRATION INTO SYSTEMD FOR SOME COSMETIC IMPROVEMENTS FOR
> NON-SYSTEMD SYSTEMS***.
>
> (Yes, udev on non-systemd systems is in our eyes a dead end, in case
> you haven't noticed it yet. I am looking forward to the day when we
> can drop that support entirely.)

  They've essentially announced ahead of time that most bugs from
non-systemd users would be closed with WONTFIX.  Actually, for political
reasons, I hope that eudev does submit a bunch bugs+patches, and gets
them rejected.  Then whenever anyone complains about not sharing code,
show them a bunch of WONTFIX emails from systemd/udev maintainers.

--
Walter Dnes <waltd...@waltdnes.org>