On Sat, Dec 15, 2012 at 07:21:21AM +0000, Duncan wrote
> Walter Dnes posted on Sat, 15 Dec 2012 01:33:04 -0500 as excerpted:
>
> > [Udev-systemd has] essentially announced ahead of time that most bugs
> > from non-systemd users would be closed with WONTFIX.
>
> Agreed, to this point.
>
> > Actually, for political reasons, I hope that eudev does submit a bunch
> > bugs+patches, and gets them rejected.  Then whenever anyone complains
> > about not sharing code, show them a bunch of WONTFIX emails from
> > systemd/udev maintainers.
>
> This attitude is and the described events would be... unfortunate.
>
> For the reasons you list, I don't believe people should be /surprised/ if
> many such bugs+patches are rejected after submission, but that wouldn't
> make it any less unfortunate, and IMO, hoping they DO get rejected is the
> wrong attitude to have.

  I should've been clearer in my email, rather than a train-of-thought
approach...

  1) For appearance's sake and to make our position better in outsiders'
view, I *HOPE* that eudev developers are co-operative in regards to
sharing patches with systemd/udev.

  2) Given past history, I *EXPECT* at least some bugs to be "resolved"
by the systemd/udev developers as WONTFIX.  It was their attitude that
led to eudev in the first place.

  Here's a brief overview of why I think that eudev (or equivalant) is
necessary...

  * Lennart Poettering wrote systemd

  * systemd will not run on machines with a separate /usr, and no
    initramfs.

  * Some people say that's because systemd is broken.  Lennart says that
    machines systemd won't run on are broken.

  * That's getting into "holy war" territory.  If it had remained
    strictly a Redhat-ism, we wouldn't be arguing the issue today.

  * The udevd tarball got merged into the systemd tarball, in order to
    "share common code".  That's when the fruit of the cow-pasture hit
    the fan.

  * Inheriting code from from systemd meant inheriting any restrictions
    that code had... e.g. not supporting separate /usr without initramfs

  That's just now.  What other systemd-related restrictions/dependancies
will be eventually rammed down the throats of non-users of systemd?
eudev is a "declaration of independance" for non-systemd users.

--
Walter Dnes <waltd...@waltdnes.org>