On Monday 17 December 2012 11:19:20 Tomáš Chvátal wrote:
> I've always myself override these defaults in make.conf to point for
> /var/portage/ (not /var/lib because I never bothered enough how to
> make world and config files to be put elsewhere :P).
Finally!
And, while we are at it, lets more distfiles out of portage. That is the only
(prominent) dir inside that has drastically different storage requirements.
Having portage on a separate partition requires now changing defaults, bind
mounts or symlinks. It is better to have it done right from the onset then to
workaround every time.

Oh, and +1 on /var/cache/portage for the location.

George