> On 19/12/2012 13:44, Marc Schiffbauer wrote:
>> I would suggest /var/portage ...

> Seriously, mine is going to be a huge veto here with as much power I
> can put.

Why? The portage tree is of central importance for Gentoo, so IMHO a
second-level directory would be acceptable for it. Besides, it
currently is in /usr/portage, so it wouldn't be new but would only
move from /usr to /var.

> There is a _reason_ why stuff is added to /var/lib instead of having

> /var/postgres
> /var/mysql
> /var/foobar
> /var/wtf
> /var/wth
> /var/imtired

I don't understand how this is related to the discussion. None of the
above have any relevance for Gentoo that would be comparable to
Portage.

This doesn't mean that /var/portage is the only possible choice. But
IMHO it's better than some of the other suggestions that I've seen
here, like /var/cache/portage/repositories/gentoo/tree and so on.

> As I said on other messages before (which you probably missed since
> you ask "Why not?"), putting it in /var/lib or /var/db or /var/cache
> makes it explicit how you should handle its backup.

Yes, these are certainly fine, as long as we don't add additional
useless subdirectory levels.

> /var/portage ? I have to look it up manually.

Please, stay serious. ;-)

Ulrich