On 19/12/2012 14:43, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
> Why? The portage tree is of central importance for Gentoo, so IMHO a
> second-level directory would be acceptable for it. Besides, it
> currently is in /usr/portage, so it wouldn't be new but would only
> move from /usr to /var.

I'm irked enough by /usr/portage that using that as a reason is just
going to make me feel even more strongly that it should not be /var/portage.

> I don't understand how this is related to the discussion. None of the
> above have any relevance for Gentoo that would be comparable to
> Portage.

See above.

> This doesn't mean that /var/portage is the only possible choice. But
> IMHO it's better than some of the other suggestions that I've seen
> here, like /var/cache/portage/repositories/gentoo/tree and so on.

I'm not arguing that it should go 5 levels deep. But two or three deep
is fine for me. Is it going to be /var/db/portage/master ? Fine. Is it
going to be /var/cache/portage/tree? Fine. /var/cache/portage +
/var/cache/distfiles ? Fine.

Just mv /usr/portage /var/portage ? FFS no. Among other things, as many
said before, we should really take distfiles out of the tree itself, and
packages the same. And I don't want /var/packages or /var/distfiles at all.

>> /var/portage ? I have to look it up manually.
>
> Please, stay serious. ;-)

I am serious. If it's my first time backing up a system, and I encounter
a directory "/var/portage", it doesn't make it clear what it contains.
Is it re-generable? Should it be backed up entirely?

That's why my suggestion is to use /var/cache: it makes it clear that
there is no definitive reason to back it up (as Justin said there is an
issue with distfiles you can't re-download but that's a different story
I'd say — maybe setting a default read-only distdir for said packages
might make sense, but I don't want to get there at all).

Also, I usually keep /var/cache in a more "unsafe" disk — I don't care
if I lose cache because the drive dies, while /var/lib is fully backed
up. I don't usually split /var/db but I can see what people were saying
about having different allocation requirements for the tree compared to
distfiles, and I guess that if we put the tree there we could gain
something even for /var/db/pkg by splitting it.

Tree hierarchies are there to make things more easily organized, not
just to look nice.

--
Diego Elio Pettenò — Flameeyes
flamee...@flameeyes.eu — http://blog.flameeyes.eu/