> just to clarify, I'm voting for...

> /var/cache/distfiles
> /var/cache/packages

Fine.

> /var/cache/repositories/
> /var/cache/repositories/gentoo   <== the main portage tree
> /var/cache/repositories/local    <== the new location for a local overlay
> /var/cache/repositories/some-overlay  <== layman installed overlay

So the Portage tree would move from the second level (/usr/portage) to
the fourth level? IMHO this is unacceptable. Make it /var/cache/gentoo
or /var/cache/portage; the /var/cache directory really isn't so
overpopulated that there's a need for hiding things in subdirs.

Also I wonder if local overlays should be in /var/cache? It might not
always be possible to restore them.

Ulrich