On Tue, 29 Jan 2013 22:47:26 +0100
Pacho Ramos <pa...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> Also, autoformatting will help to prevent every package setting
> messages with different lines length (in some cases really long lines
> that I finally reported some bugs in the past to get them fitting in
> "standard" 80 characters per line).

I agree with you, there should be consistency as far as reasonable.
Formatting certainly is a valid means. Some sort of <code> tags could
be used if formatting isn't desired. Ie similar to eclass-manpages.

The eclass blurb:
 readme.gentoo - An eclass for installing a README.gentoo doc file
 recording tips

I know it started out as CONFIGURATION, but README.gentoo is generic
enough to contain other package specific info a user or upstream
developer might be interested in. What I have in mind right now are
patches.

This could look like the following in an ebuild:
  README_GENTOO_PATCHES=( "${FILESDIR}"/*.patch )
  epatch "${README_GENTOO_PATCHES[@]}"

Then the eclass generates for each patch in README_GENTOO_PATCHES a
note within a standard section containing patch name, author, subject
line. This needs something similar enough to a git format patch to
magically work though, but might be a nice addition and would help the
goal of consistency. Also git-format-patch like patches are anyway
preferable to dangling patches with maybe a bug number in the ebuild
at best.