On Wed, May 8, 2013 at 11:26 AM, Ben de Groot <yng...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> In my opinion you should not be asking maintainers to add systemd
> units to their packages. They most likely do not have systems on which
> they can test these, and very few users would need them anyway. I
> would think it is better to add them to a separate systemd-units
> package.

I think that makes about as much sense as putting openrc init.d
scripts in a separate package.

I'm contemplating migrating to systemd and when that happens I'll
generally no longer be testing openrc init.d scripts in packages I
maintain.  That doesn't mean that I plan to drop them, or that I won't
investigate bugs that get reported.  As more migrate to systemd I
suspect this will become a fairly common issue.

Maintainers who don't use systemd need to deal with unit files in the
same way that maintainers who don't use desktop environments need to
deal with .desktop entries.  There is no requirement that packages
include these, but they're valid bugs when others submit them and
maintainers are encouraged to include them.  You can always ask
somebody else to test them for you, and nobody is going to give you a
hard time as the only people impacted by a broken unit file are
systemd users who would not be better off if the unit file wasn't
included.

Sure, OpenRC is the default, but developers aren't required to include
init.d scripts any more than they're required to include systemd
units.  If 70% of the developers eventually migrate and you want to
hold onto OpenRC do you really want them to ignore your requests to
include init.d scripts where they make sense?

Rich