On Tue, 21 May 2013 21:37:25 +0000 (UTC)
Duncan <1i5t5.dun...@cox.net> wrote:

> [snip] FIRE! [snip] "hacks" of tools, thank you very much! =:^)

Glad you like it! Something that breaks isn't a solution though...

> It's a specifically designed part of the whole gentoo support of
> choice system you mention.

I wouldn't call something that's added to our red herring (make.conf) as
an afterthought "designed", but rather a lack of better approaches.

In the Portage tree we could avoid users from having to mask files,
because that could break their system anyway; eg. Go mask some typical
files [1], you'll end up breaking package compilations in the long run
as they need these files installed on your system.

In Portage the /etc/package.* files are a good example, more advanced
include / exclude file masking in the same way would certainly be a
benefit and some kind of base / profile forced install unmask too.

In other Package managers, I assume this madness isn't supported.

In its current state, it certainly has its use cases; though it is
often misused by unaware users that don't know what removal of certain
files has as a consequence, that means it can do more bad than good...

 [1]: http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-670094.html
      First INSTALL_MASK I came across searching for it online,
      particularly masking *.h, *.pc and Makefile* are very bad ideas.

--
With kind regards,

Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
Gentoo Developer

E-mail address  : tom...@gentoo.org
GPG Public Key  : 6D34E57D
GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2  ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D