On Sun, 26 May 2013 10:58:23 +0200
Robert David <robert.david.pub...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Increased complexity is never safer. And a wrapper means the
> > additional complexity gets there every boot. And considering how
> > the discussion goes, the wrapper will grow openrc-size in a few
> > months..
>
> I agree with this. But changing symlinks is not as easy on running
> system (since it can cause inconsistence during rebooot). I think that
> safest way not using wrapper is to stop all services and keep only
> mounted /, than change things (symlinks,configuration update) and
> reboot.
>
> Thus this "eselect init" will let the user confirm and then trigger
> reboot. I do not think that users will change init all the time, thus
> make it better safe and more complex in this change is better than
> check and wrap in all the boots.
>
> Otherwise interesting is preinit handler in OpenWrt:
> http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/techref/process.boot
> http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/notuci.config#etcpreinit
> http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/techref/preinit_mount

In other words, if you go for the symlink approach you're just moving
complexity to your system instead of into the boot; I don't see why a
wrapper would grow to openrc size, that's just a bold exaggeration.

I'd rather have a clean wrapper that just works than an unclean way to
cover the reboot madness that comes along; forcing a reboot, really?

--
With kind regards,

Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
Gentoo Developer

E-mail address  : tom...@gentoo.org
GPG Public Key  : 6D34E57D
GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2  ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D